We have had great weather, clear weather, almost all the trip. Other than the day of snow and the day of fog following it, the sky has been clear. This includes yesterday, where we observed airplane and helicopter traffic at the airport adjacent to our lodge.
Well, today it is cloudy -- no flights until the weather clears. I know Lukla is famous for this, but I thought that was because of the monsoon that started shortly after the spring climbing season. The fall and winter is supposed to be clear. Not today. The forecast is for more of the same weather for another few days.
I am not
because we have a couple extra days in Kathmandu before we have to
I just want to get back so
can take a
shower and change to clean clothes (no point in one without the other). But
what do I know?
I am out making another email trip to
Starbucks, Tendy is on the phone checking the weather forecast, plane
By the time I come back,
I find out they have chartered three helicopters to get us all out
Some of the party is
they can get out without having to pay extra, but I am all for it. I
want out, and when else am I going to get
to fly on a helicopter?
As we are waiting for the helicopters to arrive, the sky clears briefly and several planes roar in, as though they had been waiting just over the ridge for a break in the clouds. Each one disgorges passengers, loads up, and is off in five minutes. Four or five planes comes and goes, then the airport shuts down again.
|A little while later our helicopters arrive, we pile in, and off we go.||
It was a really fun ride to Kathmandu, a memorable experience. The helicopters were the last thing out of the airport that day, for several days in fact.
Of Our Other Helicopters
|Later, back home, there
were news reports
thousands of people stranded in Lukla for a week or more.
were paying a small fortune to get
airlifted out so they could get back to work.
||We were fortunate that our staff was quick-thinking enough to get us out when they did.|
back to Charles Hayden's Home Page